Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Did I Ask For A 4:30 am Wake-up Call

So the fire alarm went off at our hotel at 4:30 am. I stepped out to investigate and seeing no smoke or flames assumed everything OK, but that's not always a safe bet. People are generally like rats and if one knows the ship is going down and starts abandoning ship, the whole nest will follow. So seeing no general panic I was cautiously confident the ship was not going down. So I told Rachael if the fire department starts showing up then we should be concerned. After waiting a minute or two an ever so faint yet familiar sound crossed my ears. As it grew louder I decided a second look for smoke and flames would be wise. Adding to my concern, most of the people in the hotel also thought it wise to come outside for another look, remember the rat theory. It turned out to be just a false alarm. Now I am left not knowing what to be more concerned about, the fact that the fire alarm system in our hotel is not up to par or the fact that my children ignored the alarm all together or at best just expressed annoyance at the sound. I guess another family home evening on what our family is to do when we hear a fire alarm is in order.

No comments: