Sunday, April 6, 2008

A Bonding Moment!


On Saturday, April 5, 2008, my father in-law and I grew closer together. We learned that from time to time I like to play the part of a moron and that he takes it pretty well. We were brought together by a request for help; and ended up needing a little of our own. Grandma Westhoff, from Drexel, asked our help in moving some items from the Hotel Raymond as it is to be rented out. So, in getting the day off to a right fine start, I figured why not get the truck stuck in mud. It was just the thing needed to test our patience for the occasion.

I even remember thinking to myself, now be careful not to get too close to that drainage ditch, you’ve played that game before. But as if in a flash the deed was done. The bounds of traction governed by the laws of gravity were violated and it was everlastingly too late. A 2 foot deep muddy ditch and 1500 lbs stood between us and our objective. I have seen men completely lose it in similar circumstances. We stood proud, but the test had only begun.

Not a word of malice was spoken. It was simply communicated what was wrong and solutions and attempts at correction were made. Alas, none appeared adequate. It was then, as if the windows of heaven opened, that help arrived. An older gentlemen in a larger truck offered aid, but the trial was not over. I hate to speak negatively of someone giving aid, but I am not sure if it was his tow-chain or his sanctimonious attitude he looked forward to using. But this curve-ball did little to our resolve.

Pain often leads to knowledge or at least to remembrance of truth. Such was the pain in the side of my head from hitting it on the inside of the cab’s roof. It reminded me that just because a man has a tow-chain, this doesn’t mean that he knows how to use it. This also reaffirmed to me that chains are not elastic but rigid and should not be given slack; but this knowledge does little good when you’re the one stuck in the mud. None the less, having relieved some of the decent we were able to get some rocks and a board under one of the front tires allowing the truck to route out over the mud.

Having won the test, we were freed from the mud and then fought with grandma.

1 comment:

Mary W said...

Man-gum it! You are suppost to email everyone and let them know you are a blogger now. I do not like the fact that I had to find out by looking at my sister's page!

Welcome :)